Sunday, August 21, 2016

Toledo

I confessed to the teacher of our Sunday school class that’s studying Beauty, the invisible embrace, by John O’Donohue, that I would be helped by a definition. What is beauty? What are we talking about? One thing John O’Donohue says is that beauty is ennobling. I think that’s an important part of it. When I recognize beauty it seems to give me greater value. As if the simple fact of my coexistence with beauty increases my own worth. It’s enough to put a person constantly on the look out.
Not far away

           I celebrated my one month anniversary in Flint yesterday. One of the nice things about being here has been the opportunities to see people I haven’t seen for a long time. Today I drove south after church and intercepted my Goddaughter and her family in Toledo, on their way home to Virginia after visiting colleges around Chicago. Last time we got together she was learning to read. Now she reads Latin. Being together is good medicine. It’s life-giving.

On the way home from Toledo I thought about the tender words of Jesus to those who are tempted to worry, the way I am, now that bills are coming due and I’m still not working. “Do not be afraid, little flock, for your Father has been pleased to give you the kingdom.” My Heavenly Father hasn’t forgotten me. He knows what I need. It was nice to rest in His assurance as I drove. Shortly after I arrived home I received an email from Carriage Town Ministries asking me to come in tomorrow morning to discuss a possible role for me there. It was very kind of God to arrange it. Would you please pray that meeting goes well?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

You have our prayers, Jordan. We loved our time reconnecting with you in person, which beats Skype by leaps and bounds. Life- giving indeed.- Susan

Dale Chappell said...

I was at the Serve the City dinner the other day and Alfredo had mentioned your move. I was just thinking of you this morning, Jordan, when I was praying about our own challenges here financially, and the greater challenge of trusting. (I was going to write 'praying for you', but that would have actually been a 'spiritualized' less-than-true version :) Please know I WILL be praying for your new adventure there. It's funny how easy it is to trust God for you, thoroughly convinced of His joy in taking care of you. Not nearly as easy to trust for/see ourselves in that way... Big hug on you PS By the way I've been blessed and surprised by the writings of John O'Donahue a bunch of times. Time to read him again.

"jord said...

Thank you! "jk

"jord said...

Obrigado. Abraços

"jord said...
This comment has been removed by the author.